Sunday 21 July 2013

The most beautiful gift I ever did see...

It was my 23rd Birthday yesterday. We normally as a family go out for a meal and all chip in for the birthday person, or get together and my mum will pay for the food, but this year things are a lot tighter for everyone.
I share the same birthday as my mum and so that's already 2 lots of presents for my 4 siblings, plus money for an event. I wanted to do something this year that didn't put any pressure on anyone. We normally throw parties but I didn't want the stress this year.
Earlier in the week I decided to text my brothers and sisters asking them to each donate £10 towards a buffet of cold meats, cheeses, salad, olives and snacky bits. With all 5 of us paying in that gave me £50 to play with which was dedicated to food, and it was great to go to the supermarket knowing exactly what I could spend, and that people could bring partners/kids without feeling bad, everyone paid the same. With all the deals at Tesco I managed to purchase a fantastic spread and there was plenty left for tea and quite probably lunch tomorrow!
Having a cold buffet meant minimal preparation time. We got to spend a great deal of family time together having water fights and chatting and there was no stress for anyone, especially not when it came to worrying about money for a night out or running up big restaurants bills and that hideous business of splitting the bill and arguing over who ate what. My brothers and sisters spent some quality time with my nephew. They normally wouldn't have the time or patience to, but not having a big party meant they could really take some time with him. It was lovely.


On the subject of tightening our belts, (what else would I be talking about?) my elder brother is the only one of us to have a child, and so things are extremely tight for them, they're a young couple. He texted me asking what I'd like for my birthday. Knowing things are hard for him, I replied just some small girly bits. When I opened my gift I was so pleasantly surprised. They'd made something for me. A lovely personalised mug and heart plaque.

I love that they've taken the time and so much effort to make such a beautiful gift for me. I will honestly treasure them. My nephew was very excited to give them to me and explained what all the drawings were. It really is the thought that counts. I recommend it as a gift as the mug is practical but a beautiful reminder of how important family really are.
Amazon sell mug painting sets relatively cheaply http://www.amazon.co.uk/toys-games/dp/B000GTPIRK and you could reuse the paints by buying more low cost plain mugs to paint. I will certainly be using this idea myself.
Peace and Love

xXx

No comments:

Post a Comment